Last year’s SEMA Show was a big one for the folks at Ford Performance. The company brought home some stellar vehicle awards, and even debuted an all-new racecar. That racecar of course was the 2017 Ford Mustang GT4-spec built racecar, which has captivated us ever since we saw it in person in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Which brings us to Dean Martin and our friends at KohR Motorsports. They currently offer the all-new Mustang GT4 racecar with a starting price just shy of a quarter of a million dollars ($225,000, to be exact). It’s obvious the Mustang GT4 isn’t quite a grassroots racecar at heart, but what can one expect from this high-end, track-only beast?
2017 Ford Mustang GT4 Specs
- 5.2-liter Four-Valve V8
- Motec Controls System
- Dry-Sump Racing Oil Pan And Oil Cooler
- Holinger Sequential Gearbox w/ Electronic Paddle Shift
- Torsen Differential w/ 3.73 Gears
- Unique Race Wiring Harness
- Seam-Welded and Weight-Reduced Unibody
- FIA Fire SUpression System
- Dynamic Suspension DSSV Two-way Race Coilover Dampers
- Race Caster/Camber plates
- Steering: Ford Performance Adjustable Race EPAS
- Brembo Six-Piston w/ Two-Piece 380mm Rotors (Front)
- Brembo Four-Piston w/ Two-Piece 313mm Rotors (rear)
- Race Brake Cooling Ducts
- Bosch Racing ABS
Wheels & Tires
- Forgeline GS1R
- Continental Tire Racing Slicks
- GT4-SpecCarbon Fiber Splitter and Dive Planes
- GT4-SpecCarbon Fiber Adjustable Rear Wing
- GT4-SpecCarbon Fiber Fiber Vented Hood
- Carbon Fiber Doors
- Carbon Fiber Decklid
- Carbon Fiber Roof
- Front And Rear Tow Hooks
- Full FIA-Compliant Roll Cage
- MOTEC Data Acquisition System
- Sparco FIA Racing Seat and Quick-Release Steering Wheel
- FIA Racing Harness
1. What type of enthusiast does the all-new Mustang GT4-spec racecar appeal to?
“The target customer is a high-end racer that is looking for a very competitive GT4-spec racecar,” Dean said. “While the initial cost is on-par with all of the top brands, the operating costs for the Mustang are significantly cheaper. Ford also has a great support program behind this car, and the car is also being designed to be easy to drive with a paddle-shifted sequential gearbox. This will include auto-blip downshift capability to help reduce driver mistakes and make the car easier to drive for the gentleman-type of racer.”
2. When can we expect to see one of these Mustang racecars arrive?
“Multimatic will have the development car at Daytona, and you should see two cars on the grid for the Daytona race at the end of the month,” Dean said.
3. Does Ford offer any additional prep for the Mustang GT4-spec racecar?
“No, this will come from teams like us [KohR Motorsports] who will be campaigning these cars in the IMSA Continental Tire and Pirelli World Challenge series,” Dean explained.
4. In regards to race-prepped Mustang models of the past, like the BOSS 302S and the Shelby GT350R-C, how does the all-new Mustang GT4-spec racecar compare?
“These cars are a significant jump in technology,” Dean concluded. “There will be a large performance gap between this car and any other Mustang before it.”
If you are looking to pick one of these race-ready machines up, you can learn more on the KohR site here.