The Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) just announced a new Solo Spec Coupe (SSC) class for autocross! The new class for 2018 in both national and regional events was created to be similar to other Spec classes where competitors driving will be competing agains other racers in nearly identical cars. So, what vehicles have been selected for this new Spec class? The Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ.
Mike Cobb, SCCA President & CEO said, “When you take an exciting car model and add great partner support, a dedicated Solo Spec Coupe class in which to play, and terrific drivers, you get an outstanding SCCA member experience we’re sure many people will enjoy.” The 2013 to 2016 models for the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ were selected by the Solo Events Board since, “the cars are modestly priced, rear-wheel drive, late model enthusiast vehicles useful as both a ‘daily driver’ and for autocross competition.”
The SCCA Rally/Solo Senior Director Howard Duncan sounded very enthusiastic about the new class saying, “The vehicles are readily available and modifications fairly simple. The cars have shown reliability, which should help with cost containment. And a street ride can be maintained for daily use while also allowing for fun autocross performance. It’s a very positive package all around.”
Vehicles in the class will be expected to compete with original equipment of course, but the new Solo Spec Coupe class will also have a two stage upgrade option available. As the SCCA’s coordinating partner, Tire Rack is offering Stage 1 to SCCA members at a discounted price along with an opportunity for non-members to join before purchasing. Right now the basic elements of Stage 1 include:
- Koni Sport Shocks, factory Sealed (front left and right strut, as well as rear)
- Eibach Pro Plus Kit (Front and rear springs and front and rear adjustable anti roll bars)
- SPC Front Alignment Kit (camber bolts, adjustable lower control arms, and toe arms)
Jumping into the Stage 2 Performance Package will include 17×8 wheels with a minimum of 17 pounds and minimum offset of 40mm. Tire size for the class will be 225/45/17 with a minimum of 200 treadwear–although no specific tire brand has been named yet (expected later this year).
There will actually be a Stage 3 performance package as well, which will consist of ECU tuning but is still being researched and considered for official use. When it comes to parts and components not specifically listed in the Stage 1 or Stage 2 packages, the normal Solo Street category allowances will apply. If you have some but not all parts installed, you will be allowed to compete “under prepared” while applicable Solo Spec Coupe cars will also be allowed to compete in the STX class.
For more information about the new 2018 Solo Spec Coupe Class, please visit the SCCA Solo Spec Coupe webpage here.
Current rules for the Solo SCC:
2013 to 2016 Subaru BRZ or Scion FRS:
- Vehicles will be able to compete with the original equipment.
- The Solo Spec Coupe will also have a two-stage upgrade option:
Stage 1 Performance Package:
- Koni Sport Shocks, factory sealed (front left strut, right front strut and rear)
- Eibach Pro-Plus Kit (F/R springs and F/R adjustable anti-roll bars)
- SPC Front Alignment Kit (camber bolts, adjustable lower control arms and toe arms)
Stage 2 Performance Package:
- Tires: size 225/45R17, minimum tread wear depth. The spec tire brand will be named later this year
- Wheels: 17×8, minimum 17 pounds, minimum wheel offset 40